Published April 29, 2022
Gifts She’ll Adore
In the U.S., Mother’s Day dates back to the 19th century in the years before the Civil War. A woman named Ann Reeves Jarvis helped launch a Mother’s Day Work Club to teach local women how to properly take care of their children. These clubs later took on a key role in unifying women across the country during the Civil War. In 1868, Jarvis organized “Mothers’ Friendship Day” during which mothers joined with former Union and Confederate soldiers to foster reconciliation.
The Abolitionist and Suffragette, Julia Ward Howe wrote the “Mother’s Day Proclamation” in 1870 asking mothers to unite in promoting world peace. Following her mother’s death in 1905, Ann Reeves Jarvis invented a Mother’s Day to honor the sacrifice mothers have made for their children throughout the centuries. She argued that American holidays were based on celebrating male achievements and she launched a huge campaign to adopt a special day to honor mothers. By 1912, Mother’s Day had been adopted by many states. In 1914, President Woodrow Wilson signed a measure officially adopting Mother’s Day as the second Sunday in May.
Fast forward to the present day. Did you know that more phone calls are placed on Mother’s Day than on any other day of the year? We think you can do a lot better than that, though. A phone call is nice, but nothing beats a thoughtful gift.
Let us suggest a present for her this year that she will always treasure. Dover carries a special collection of jewelry that will express your love and gratitude for everything she has done for you in your life.
- Our first choice is a highly collectible vintage Piaget yellow gold watch, set with eighteen baguette-cut diamonds. It is a special piece in a classic design – and it makes a stunning gift!
- A pearl necklace is hard to beat. This one is a high luster baroque South Sea pearl 18k gold beauty at a very reasonable price. It is simple, elegant and classic – and will look good on any woman
- This is a multi-colored peacock green, silver and black Tahitian South Sea pearl necklace secured with a gold clasp
- Watch her eyes light up at this vintage, geometric design diamond link bracelet
- Vintage brooches and pins represent one of the most significant jewelry trends in recent years. They are seen on the red carpet, in movies and worn by celebrities everywhere. This vintage Art Deco emerald and diamond flower bouquet pin makes a perfect Mother’s Day gift. It is versatile, wearable and highly collectible.
Does she like diamond or gemstone animal jewelry? Does she have an eclectic taste in jewelry? You will know which one of these diamond and gemstone brooches expressed that lively personality you love so much:
This piece is also on sale. It is an exceptional vintage hand-made charm bracelet. It features a twisted gold rope bracelet and five solid gold charms – a chest, a fish, a crown, a globe and a carriage, complete with rotating wheels. We think this is an exquisite Mother’s Day gift.
If you are still undecided, there are plenty of options on our site doverjewelry.com. Our customer service personnel can also help with suggestions. Please reach out to us today and accept our Complimentary Shipping for Mother’s Day!
From all of us at Dover, we wish you the happiest Mother’s Day ever!